Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Hiding under a bushel or under a bed??

 Last week I locked myself up in my cabin away from all distractions as I needed to finish the "Revived by His Word: Bible Study Mini-Handbook." It's just a little booklet outlining principles of basic Bible study that I was asked to write. (Actually I should have completed it last September, but I've just had too much going on!) Anyway, the good news is that it's almost done. God really blessed and I was inspired as I read the Bible and did research. 

Do you know that there is soooo MUCH in the Bible that we so often rush right over?

Let me share an example that I shared in the handbook. Although I've read these verses many times, this is something I hadn't ever seen before. (And I thank my friend Peter for bringing this to my attention!)

In Matthew 5:14-15 we are told, “Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.” Most people probably read over verse 15 and assume that when it says “under a bushel” it refers to the fact that we should not be hiding our light. And there is nothing wrong with that. But why did Jesus use the term “bushel”? Is this significant? In Mark 4:21 it’s stated again with a little more detail. “Is a candle brought to be put under a bushel, or under a bed? and not to be set on a candlestick?” Again, why does He use the word “bushel” and who would put their candle under a bed?

In Bible times, and even some today, the “bushel” is considered a unit of measurement. It’s also what we store stuff in. Farmers or hard workers, or those that cling to things (Matt. 6:19-21) would most likely use a bushel. Furthermore, those that are resting or taking life easy would mostly likely be using a bed. So as we analyze these two verses about not putting our light “under a bushel,” or “under a bed,” and as we look at historical facts, and the context, the deeper spiritual meaning becomes strikingly clear. 


What is most likely to hinder our light shining today? It’s usually our stuff, right? We are either too busy working and trying to get more stuff (and measuring what we have by looking at the amount of stuff other people have), or we are so busy being preoccupied enjoying the stuff (material wealth) we already have, that we are falling asleep! And Jesus seems to be telling His followers, “Beware! Don’t do this! Don’t let yourself get too busy with your work or your things, and don’t let yourself fall asleep with a lifestyle of ease that you hide your light. You are to let it shine!

Isn't that powerful!???? 

So today, as you re-assess your own life, make sure you haven't fallen into this common trap, being so busy working for stuff, enjoying stuff or comparing your stuff among others stuff, that you've forgotten to let your light shine! Don't let that light hide under your sleepiness!!!

Day 37 - Vit. B-3 Challenge

  • Bible Thought: Beware of the distraction of bushels and a preoccupation with what they hold! :-) 
  • Blessing: Was so inspired and blessed by fellow Bible study friends this week. God has given us a fellowship of believers for a reason. Let us continue to exhort and encourage one another as we see the DAY of His coming approaching.
  • Battles: If I don't go to Christ each morning, I wont have that Light to share, even if I'm not living under a bushel. So I must keep my time with Him, no matter how much I have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment