Friday, February 22, 2013

The God before whom I stand...

This morning I was catching up on my reading in 1 Kings. It was somewhat depressing as I read how one king after another did evil in the sight of the Lord. And then you get to Ahab, and he did MORE EVIL then all the kings before him! Wow!!!

And yet, God was not done with Israel. In 1 Kings 17, we find that God sent Israel another deliverer...but He couldn't deliver until Israel had felt their great thirst. So Elijah, an unknown from nowhere special, comes and speaks boldly to King Ahab. 

This is what he said:


"As the Lord God of Israel liveth, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years, but according to my word." 1 Kings 17:1

With all the evil going on, it probably seemed pretty hopeless to any christians that were still alive. It may have seemed like God had abandoned them all or he had died. And yet, one boldly steps forward and proclaims, that the Lord God of Israel is still alive. He's not only alive, but I stand before Him, and by His authority, I am telling you that He controls the heavens and He controls the rain...and because you do not acknowledge His authority, you shall HAVE NO RAIN until He speaks again!

Wow! Talk about bold!

I've shared this quote before, but I have to share it again as it INSPIRES ME so much!


“It was because Elijah was a man of large faith that God could use him in this grave crisis in the history of Israel. As he prayed, his faith reached out and grasped the promises of Heaven, and he persevered in prayer until his petitions were answered. He did not wait for the full evidence that God had heard him, but was willing to venture all on the slightest token of divine favor. And yet what he was enabled to do under God, all may do in their sphere of activity in God’s service Faith such as this is needed in the world today—faith that will lay hold on the promises of God’s word and refuse to let go until Heaven hears.” Prayer, p. 138

Our name may not be Elijah, but God has called each of us for a specific task today. And just as Israel was in a crisis then, we have our own spiritual crisis in our church today! Let us stand up, and let us be bold, knowing that God is still ALIVE, and whatever He calls us to do, He will give us strength to perform!


"I have set the Lord always before me. Because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved." Ps. 16:8

Review:

  • Bible Thought: God still lives...let us stand before Him and honor Him, even when it is getting very unpopular to do. 
  • Blessing: Israel was getting ready for a drought, but the Ozarks are getting lots of rain today, for which I am thankful! 
  • Battles: Stay focused, don't get distracted! I must keep my eyes on Him!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment