Thursday, February 07, 2013

Remembering those in chains...

The persecuted church around the world has continued to weigh heavily on my heart as I've been praying for Pastor Saeed, who has been unjustly sentenced for his faith to 8 years in one of the worst prisons in Iran. Because he's an American citizen, his case has been getting lots of international attention, and we are still hoping that the pressure will force the Iranian government to take action and let him go free. 

However, I've been thinking a lot about all the others that are being persecuted for their faith around the world…many that we have never heard of because they aren't US citizens, and they have no one to stand in their defense - no one except God.  

"Scripture asks us to 'Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body' (Hebrews 13:3, English Standard Version). While the Bible clearly states that persecution advances the Kingdom of God and the persecuted will be blessed for their persecution, it also states that the Church should be ever present to uplift the persecuted in prayer. When Peter was kept in prison, the Church fervently prayed to God on his behalf (Acts 12:5). And it was Paul who asked the Church in Colossians to 'Remember my chains' (Colossians 4:18)." 

Today as Christians in Iran face severe persecution for practicing their faith, let us stand with them in prayer. Let us “rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep” (Romans 12:15).

Also, let us ask ourselves the question, "Am I willing to stand or suffer for my faith? Or am I only here until the going gets hard?"

My prayer, "Lord help me not to ever deny you, no matter what I face! May I be willing to carry the cross!" 

Day 38 - Vit. B-3 Challenge
  • Bible Thought: We can't forget those that are in prison!
  • Blessing: I praise the Lord that we still have a few days of religious freedom…but maybe only a few days. Let us use them for God's glory…instead of our own!
  • Battles: To remember the poor and persecuted and those that don't yet know Christ, instead of my own comforts and desires.
For more information on the persecuted Church, visit the "Voice of the Martyrs." They have some powerful resources. Also their Prisoner Alert shares stories of some current prisoners of the gospel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment