Sunday, February 10, 2013

Holiness is what I long for...

As I began to pray this morning, the words of a recent song I heard were playing in my mind…


"Holiness, holiness, this is what I long for. Holiness, holiness, this is what I need…"

In both the Old and New Testament, we have some pretty high commands given to us. One of those is "Be ye holy for I am the Lord." (Lev. 20:7, 1 Pet. 1:15,16) I don't know about you, but last time I checked, I was still a dreadfully long ways away from achieving that mark of perfection. So my encouragement for today came from John 1:

"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth... And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace." John 1:12-14,16

It's important to note in this passage that we are NOT born into the family of God biologically. (Many think they are following God because they were born into a Christian home.) We also do not get into the family of God by our own hard work and spiritual earnestness. (Many people think if they serve God, pay tithe, go to church, and work hard in ministry, they are covered…but even this is not enough. Isa 64:6) We cannot receive this by any work of the flesh. Only God can perform this miracle. 


But did you catch how this happens? But as many as RECEIVED HIM…even to THEM that BELIEVE ON HIS NAME!!! (That's you and me!) We can't make ourselves holy…we never will be good enough or do good enough or pray good enough to be Holy! But IF we receive Him… If we believe on His name, He gives us the power to become His sons and daughters. He came, the WORD MADE FLESH to give us this needed GRACE…. (Eph. 2:8-9) And now we are holy (or to be more accurate, the word in Hebrew means: set-apart, consecrated, dedicated, and sanctified) in Him. Only God is truly Holy, but we are to be set-apart and consecrated completely to Him. And this is something He's not only asked for, but enabled us to be. 

And so I continue to hum in my mind...

Holiness, holiness is what I long for
Holiness is what I need
Holiness, holiness is what
You want for me, for me

Chorus
So, take my heart and mold it (So, take my heart and mold it)
Take my mind, transform it (Take my mind, transform it)
Take my will, conform it (Take my will, conform it)
To Yours, to Yours, oh, Lord (Take my will, conform it)

Review
  • Bible Thought: Seeking His Holiness…and FOUND by trusting in Him!
  • Blessing: So many amazing insights each day. I just praise the Lord!
  • Battles: We have good days, and we have days that are tougher… whatever the case, we have to remember we don't base our faith on our feelings of the day but on the FACTS of God's Word and on His faithfulness! 

No comments:

Post a Comment