Monday, March 11, 2013

Follow me…really means, TRUST ME!

Been thinking a lot lately on Christ and His life and how we are to follow His example.

"Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me." Matt 16:24

We've all read this verse many times, but what does it mean to truly deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Christ?

As we examine the life of Christ we find a humble man that did not even have a place to lay His head. Furthermore, He instructed His followers that as they went out to preach and spread the gospel, they were not to take purse, scrip or shoes. (Matt. 10:9,10) WHAT???? And yet they testified, that despite these commands, that they lacked nothing. (Luke 22:35) 

I don't claim to understand the deeper meaning of these passages, but I find it kinda ironic today that we can't do anything too risky for Christ unless we have life insurance or health insurance backing us up. And to go out to preach without even a script to follow? That's a bit much, don't you think??? At least it would seem so to me. Yet, what is God trying to teach His disciples…both back then and today? I think it's all about dependence and trust. 

When He calls us to follow Him, He's really asking us just to TRUST HIM!

I can hear Him still asking us today:

Are you going to depend on your OWN provisions or on ME?
Are you going to depend on your scripted plans on WHAT to SAY or on the promptings of MY HOLY SPIRIT?
Are you to go worry about your lodging and about staying warmed and FED or are you going to LIVE by EVERY WORD that proceeds from my mouth?
Do you trust me?

I don't know about you, but I long to trust God more. And I want to follow Him…and I have to trust that if He calls me to take up His Cross, He will somehow enable me to bare it. I don't have to carry it alone. 

Review: 

  • Bible Thought: Follow Him… means trusting Him!
  • Blessing: God has given me a beautiful morning in His Word and taking me deeper in praise.
  • Battles: To trust HIM even when I don't see the final outcome or the way. :-)    

No comments:

Post a Comment