Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Why doesn't He answer my Prayer?

Even though you've grown up a Christian, or read the Bible over and over, do you sometimes find yourself still wondering, "Does God really hear and answer prayers? I've prayed and prayed for this and still I don't see an answer! Have I been mistaken?"

It's easy to doubt when we don't see the answer to some of our most important prayers. I know this by experience as I've prayed for conversion of loved ones, for my mom's healing and for other important things that have not yet occurred. In fact about 10 years ago, I passed through a very dark time when my prayers for something very specific were not answered the way I'd hoped. I prayed 8 long years (which seems like a very long time for a young girl) that a certain Christian young man and I would be together, and I thought that I had many indications that God was at work in our lives and bringing us together. But while God was obviously at work in our lives, it wasn't to accomplish the goal I had in mind. It was for something completely different. NOW… now I see and understand, and I'm so glad for the way that God led. But then… well, I felt betrayed and disillusioned. 


Today I wanted to share something from the compilation on Prayer that has really blessed me.

“When we do not receive the very things we asked for, at the time we ask, we are still to believe that the Lord hears and that He will answer our prayers. We are so erring and shortsighted that we sometimes ask for things that would not be a blessing to us, and our heavenly Father in love answers our prayers by giving us that which will be for our highest good— that which we ourselves would desire if with vision divinely enlightened we could see all things as they really are. When our prayers seem not to be answered, we are to cling to the promise; for the time of answering will surely come, and we shall receive the blessing we need most. But to claim that prayer will always be answered in the very way and for the particular thing that we desire, is presumption. God is too wise to err, and too good to withhold any good thing from them that walk uprightly. Then do not fear to trust Him, even though you do not see the immediate answer to your prayers.” Prayer, p. 102

My verse for today: "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." Jer 29:11


So if you don't see answers, or if you don't understand…don't despair. Just trust the one who knows and allow Him to hold your hand. 

Review: 
  • Bible thought: He may not answer as we hope, but He's in control and He has our best interest at heart. Trust me, we don't want ANYTHING but His way!!!!
  • Blessing: I'm so thankful God didn't answer that prayer 10 years ago as I hoped. He had a better plan for both of us.  
  • Battle: I sometimes struggle continuing to pray for things I don't see answers, but I'm reminded that I must persevere. So this is my battle. To continue to persevere…with or without evidence that a work is happening for those that I pray for.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for that! I am one of those who struggle with the same.

    Especially have I loved this: "we don't want ANYTHING but His way!!!!" THAT'S REALLY POWERFUL.

    GOD BLESS YOU FOR YOUR MINISTRY (if it is), everything you post is just so wonderful, so practical. THE LORD JESUS SHOULD REALLY BLESS YOU. AMEN, AMEN AND AMEN

    ReplyDelete