Monday, March 18, 2013

When you don't feel like Praying…PRAY!!!!



I know that I talk a lot about prayer, but I have to admit, I don't always feel like praying. (I've shared this before right?)

The other day I was really frustrated about something that had happened, and I knew my attitude wasn't right, but I just didn't "feel" like talking to God about it. It was easier to whine and complain. (Isn't that always how it is?) 

Yet, somehow, I managed to make it to the privacy of my room and fall on my bed in tears. "God, please help me!" I prayed. "I'm so sorry that I don't even feel like talking to you about this, but I know I need you. Only you can help me through." 

As I prayed, a bit half-heartedly at first, I began to open my Bible and look at promises, and as I did, my prayers became more bold and confident. Finally, I was pouring out my heart to God with everything that I had in me. All the walls that I had been struggling against melted away, and I found that I wasn't talking to a "harsh judge," but I was simply pouring out my heart and my frustrations to my best friend. 

And that is exactly what God is. Sometimes when we struggle, I think we are resistant to talk to God about it, because we see Him as a harsh judge, and we know we are wrong and He will reprove us. (I've never found God to be this way, but sometimes in my reluctance, Satan tries to convince me that He will be harsh.) But God is such a God of mercy and grace…He's actually just waiting to take us into His arms and surround us by His love. 

I love this quote on prayer from the book Steps to Christ, p. 93.

"Through nature and revelation, through His providence, and by the influence of His Spirit, God speaks to us. But these are not enough; we need also to pour out our hearts to Him. In order to have spiritual life and energy, we must have actual communion with our heavenly Father. Our minds may be drawn out toward Him; we may meditate upon His works, His mercies, His blessings; but this is not, in the fullest sense, communing with Him. In order to commune with God, we must have something to say to Him concerning our actual life."

"Prayer is the opening of the heart to God as to a friend. Not that it is necessary in order to make known to God what we are, but in order to enable us to receive Him. Prayer does not bringGod down to us, but brings us up to Him."

So, whatever your situation or wherever you are, no matter what you feel like, just PRAY!!!

[Extra: Janet Page and I recorded two programs on Prayer last fall while I was leading prayer ministry at the General Conference. The first program, talking about how to grow your personal prayer life, just aired recently on HOPE Television. You can view it by clicking the picture above, or the link HERE.]

Review:
  • Bible Thought: God wants us to come as a friend. So even when you don't feel like praying, remember, the best thing you can do is go pray!
  • Blessing: That He's so patient with me, even when I'm slow sometimes to run to Him.
  • Battles: Die to self, live for God. (It's the battle we must all continue to fight every day!)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your blog! I do not read it everyday but I do go back and catch up. It seems everyone of them is just for me. This morning I know was here just for me. (really I know it is for everyone but especially spoke to me)
    May God continue to encourage you and lift you up higher to Him. May every person that reads your blog wake up to their need to be serious about their relantionship with Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Thank you for the inspiration your blog brings to me each day. Its always so timely and just the right message to lift me up drawing me closer to our Lord. God bless you and your Ministry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayer is my passion. Thank you for sharing the link to the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous #1 - I fear you are greatly mistaken as she is clearly writing these especially for ME! :-) God is SO good. And it is such a blessing to have this as an addition to my daily devotions because they speak to my actual walk so strongly. God bless you Mel!

    ReplyDelete