Saturday, March 30, 2013

What have I done with His Talents?

We are told that God gave each one of us "talents"…we may think they are ours, but they are actually His, given to us on loan to see what we will do with them! 

The following questionnaire I put together based on some of the more common talents we have received. Of course, I realize the list is much bigger than this, and for each one of us, it may be different. However, hopefully this will still get us thinking.

Before we look at the questions though, let me share another powerful passage I was just reading. I'm so inspired…how I want to use the gifts God has given me for Him! And the biggest gift we have received is the TRUTH!

"In the trust given to the first disciples, believers in every age have shared. Everyone who has received the gospel has been given sacred truth to impart to the world. God’s faithful people have always been aggressive missionaries, consecrating their resources to the honor of His name and wisely using their talents in His service. The unselfish labor of Christians in the past should be to us an object lesson and an inspiration. The members of God’s church are to be zealous of good works, separating from worldly ambition and walking in the footsteps of Him who went about doing good. With hearts filled with sympathy and compassion, they are to minister to those in need of help, bringing to sinners a knowledge of the Saviour’s love. Such work calls for laborious effort, but it brings a rich reward. Those who engage in it with sincerity of purpose will see souls won to the Saviour, for the influence that attends the practical carrying out of the divine commission is irresistible." Acts of the Apostles, p. 109

The Talents Evaluation

“And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.” Matt. 25:15

-       FAITH: “God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.” Rom. 12:3. (How am I using this talent? Is it languishing, or am I growing it?) “Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.” Rom 10:17 (Unbelief keeps us from heaven! See Matt. 13:58, Heb. 3:12,19, Rev 21:8)
-       TIME: “Our time belongs to God. Every moment is His, and we are under the most solemn obligation to improve it to His glory. Of no talent He has given will He require a more strict account than of our time. “ Christ Object Lessons, p. 342
-       WORDS: “Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.” James 3:10 (How do I use my tongue and voice? To build up or tear down?)
-       STATUS/EDUCATION: “By all that has given us advantage over another,—be it education and refinement, nobility of character, Christian training, religious experience,—we are in debt to those less favored; and, so far as lies in our power, we are to minister unto them. If we are strong, we are to stay up the hands of the weak.” Desire of Ages, p. 440
-       HOSPITALITY: “Use hospitality one to another without grudging.” 1 Pet. 4:9. “Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” Matt. 25:40. (Do I use my gift of hospitality to entertain for my own glorification and advancement, or to bless those that do not have?)
-       WEALTH: “For it is [God] that giveth thee power to get wealth…” Duet. 8:18. “Lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” Matt. 6:20
-       SKILLS: Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts." Zech. 4:6 (Do I use my skills and natural gifts (whether they be intellectual ability, reasoning powers, teaching, musical gifts, athletic gifts, gift in speech and song or otherwise) for my own glory and to make a name for myself, or to draw people to God?)

"Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD." Jer 9:23

Review:
  • Bible Thought: God has given each of us different talents…but are we using them for Him or for ourselves? 
  • Blessings: It's amazing to me that He entrusts us with so much. May we prove faithful!
  • Battles: Not to use what God has given me for myself but to use it for Him! 

2 comments:

  1. As I've read these questions. .. I'd become discouraged. They pull the blinders off all pretense. Yet I remember a statement that gives me courage: the closer we draw to Christ, the worse we will appear in our own eyes. It is proof that Satan is losing his power over our minds to deceive us. .. The last couple days it has been as if I were just watching myself and doing far worse than normal. Then it hit me: Satan is a defeated foe and when I belong to Christ, I am dead but alive to Him. I don't believe in communicating with the dead. .. yet that's what I've been doing. To have faith is to hear His voice and follow His directions. It also means that I'll stop listening and following the promptings of the enemy... Why follow the advice of a defeated and dying enemy? Why follow promptings that lead to the grave? Why; when Christ's voice to my soul is accompanied with the power to carry out His every suggestion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous wanted to add to comment: I need to be able to respond to each temptation with a "it is written! "

    ReplyDelete