Thursday, March 28, 2013

Heart Searching… Fan or Follower?

I know I've shared about this before…but I think it's important that we continually re-examine ourselves and where we are with God. 

I just recently put together a document of questions to challenge people to allow God to search their hearts and take them deeper in their walk with Him. (I pray over these same questions myself!) So for the next few days, I'm going to share these different groups of heart-evaluation questions. 

[IMPORTANT NOTE: These are not to be used as a measuring stick to hold up to others that fall short…they are for us alone! And also, they aren't to be used to make us feel justified in good works, for good works cannot justify. (See Eph. 2:8-9 and Isa 64:6 if you have any questions on that!) However, we are told that by our fruit they will know us. And if we are sincerely seeking after Christ, the fruit of our life SHOULD reflect that we are Christians…not just when we go to church, but each and every day throughout the week.] 

So with the above thoughts in mind, let me share:

“Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves.” 2 Cor. 13:5
“Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart.” Ps. 26:2

The FAN versus FOLLOWER Evaluation:

“If any man will come after me, let him deny himself,
and take up his cross daily, and follow me.” Luke 9:23   

Is Jesus one of MANY, or is He my ONE and ONLY? Where is my heart?

For what do I spend my money after my bills are paid? – “For WHERE your TREASURE is, there your HEART will be also.” Matt 6:21

When I Hurt, who do I go to for comfort? – Human beings, food, fantasy? – “Surely He hath born our grief’s and carried our sorrows.” Isa. 53

What disappoints me or frustrates me the most? - “Great peace have they which love thy law and nothing shall offend thee.” Ps 119:165
 

What gets me the most excited? – Material possessions, success, or my walk with God? “One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after…” Ps 27:4

What do I think about when I fall asleep at night? What is the first thing on my mind when I wake up? “Early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is.” Ps 63:1

Do I worry more about what God thinks of me or about what others think of me?

Is devotions something I treat as a “check off” task to start the day… or is it a time where I bask in the love of my Creator and I don’t want to leave…?

Do I esteem the “fruit of the Spirit” because it’s part of being a Jesus Fan? Or are the FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT a reality in my every day life? (See Gal. 5:22,23)


Review:
  • Bible Thought: Are you willing to allow God to examine your heart today? If we are followers, we will plead with Him, "search me, try me, know my heart!"
  • Blessing: I'm so thankful that Christ came to save sinners, of whom I am chief!
  • Battles: To allow Him to continue to search my heart daily. I'm not a fan, I'm a follower…and I understand that being a follower will often mean sacrifice and pain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment