Friday, March 22, 2013

No Strength for the Birth!

I've never had my own children, so I really don't know personally what a struggle "child birth" is. However, I have had the privilege of watching quite a few children born…both in the hospital (as a Nurse) and at homes (at the home births of different friends). I even got to watch my own brothers being born! That was pretty exciting, to say the least. 

It's interesting, because at each birth I remember a critical point right near the end of labor, just before the baby came, when the mother seemed at the end of her endurance. Often she would cry, "I can't do this! I can't do this anymore! Somebody do something!!!!!" Not long after the baby came. 

This morning I was reading a powerful chapter in the Bible, 2 Kings 19. WOW! Before I comment more on how God spoke to me through this amazing chapter, I have to stop at verse 3.

"This is a day of trouble, and of rebuke, and blasphemy: for the children are come to the birth, and there is no strength to bring forth."  

This verse really hit me because not only is it true of the birthing experience, but it's true of the spiritual experience of our life. (At least it's true of my life!) God has called us to live a life that we cannot possible manage to do…at least not in our own strength. He's called us to be born as a new creature that lives after the spiritual instead of the flesh. But this is impossible…at least on our own! 

This morning I was crying out to God for something that I know He has commanded of me…but I have found that I simply can't muster up the strength to produce it. As I was praying and calling out to God, He reminded me again of this powerful verse. I've come ready to be born anew, wanting something better and willing to be changed into His likeness…but I just can't do it. (It's hopeless to keep trying!) And praise the Lord I've realized this, because now…NOW HE is free to work, and He can do what I cannot. 

In the next verse the Bible continues as King Hezekiah speaks to the Prophet Isaiah: 

"It may be the Lord will hear…" and will act! 

And that's exactly what happened! Once King Hezekiah and the people acknowledged that they could NOT do what was needed, that only God could do this work of deliverance, then that is exactly what God did. (And I'll talk about that more tomorrow!) 

Review:

  • Bible Thought: No strength to be born… then let God deliver! 
  • Blessing: Enjoying a beautiful snowy day! Yes, winter thinks that it's not time yet to move over for Spring!
  • Battles: Today…God helped me cry out to Him for spiritual victory, and He is already responding. Tomorrow, I'm speaking again, and asking that God will work and that all those that need to hear will be in attendance at the meetings.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this thought. I woke up disgusted with myself and discouraged. I read your this morning's Sonshine first thing this a.m. Praise God! I don't know what else to say. I want to dig in to the Word of God and find His strength.

    ReplyDelete