Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Welcome to a New Year of "Dailys"

I don't know about the rest of you, but each time a NEW YEAR rolls around, I find myself doing some spiritual (and sometimes physical) house-cleaning as I tell myself, "This year I will do better at such-and-such" or "This year I will accomplish that goal!"

Last year I wanted to grow my prayer life, and so God convicted me to start the New Year of 2012 with 21 days of prayer and fasting. (It was powerful and set the course for this whole past year!) And this New Year of 2013, here I am again, feeling the need to challenge myself once again to press deeper, to seek for more. After all, why would I be starting this "Morning Sonshine" blog at the beginning of the New Year if it were not to begin just such another aim or goal?

As I've been reflecting over the last few days on how to begin this first "Morning Sonshine Devotional," God has convicted me of the importance of the "Dailyness of Faithfulness." We can't just be spiritual house-cleaning once a year, or once a week when we go to church. (If we do this, all sorts of garbage builds up and it's no wonder our lives fall apart in defeat.) We are to be coming to Christ "daily" just like the families did in Israel when they had their daily morning and evening sacrifices. 


Yes, a big over-haul and house-clean is good from time to time. It helps us refocus and renews our direction and goals. I think that's what the "Day of Atonement" was for Israel and maybe that's what the New Year should be for us. But we must remember, the true battle is not won "once a year" in the New Year's resolutions made or the actions taken. The true battle is won daily…each day, as we surrender, take up our cross and follow Him!

"And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me." Luke 9:23


So as we begin another year, I am challenging myself and all those that read: Let's strive to be faithful throughout each day of this coming year! If we stumble or fall, it's ok. We must simply get back up and again daily make it a point to take out the garbage (and confess our sins). And above all, we must make it a point to daily eat nutritious food. "Give us this day our daily bread." Matt 6:11. And we must daily consistently turn our hearts and thoughts to Him. "Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors." Prov. 8:34 

PS: The next post will be on January 2nd, 2013. I invite you to join me in the "Daily Vit. B-3 Challenge" I've shared in my opening blog post below. Whether you are already daily being Revived by His Word, or part of the ARME John CHALLENGE, you can take it a step further and share your Daily Vit. B-3's with all of us, your friends on Facebook, or others. For as we strive to share, we will continue to grow, and that's the whole point! Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment