Thursday, January 03, 2013

Learning to Walk again...

As I was reflecting on the "dailyness" of surrender this week, and the importance of "standing still," these verses about "walking" kept coming to my attention. It seems that God also has a keen INTEREST in teaching us to walk again. (And it's no wonder, because most of us have the tendency to RUN, or should I say "ZOOM" through life so fast that it's no surprise we often can't hear what He's saying.)

Anyway, I was really inspired when I did a simple Bible word search on the words, "walk" and "walked." Over and over God commands us to WALK IN HIS WAYS. 

Here's my verse that I've personalized for myself today! You can insert your name and do the same: 

"And now [Melody], what doth the Lord thy God require of thee, but to fear the Lord thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the Lord thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul." Duet. 10:12

We could just stop here, but I want to know more. What does it practically mean to walk in His ways?? Moses walked with God, Abraham walked with God, Enoch walked with God…and God took Him to Heaven. So what about me? 

Well, as I discovered, God doesn't leave us guessing. He actually has quite a bit to say about it…and I'm probably going to be studying this topic out for a few more days.

But let's take a quick overview on "How we are to walk in God's Ways."

  • We are to walk IN CHRIST (Col. 2:6)
  • We are to walk BEFORE GOD (Gen. 17:1)
  • We are to walk as CHILDREN of LIGHT (Eph. 5:8)
  • We are to walk in the LIGHT of HIS COUNTENANCE (Ps. 89:15)
  • We are to walk WHILE WE HAVE THE LIGHT (John 12:35)
  • We are to walk upon HIS HIGH PLACES (Hab. 3:19)
  • We are to walk in the OLD PATHS (Jer. 6:16)
  • We are to walk in GOOD WORKS (Eph 2:10)
  • We are to walk after HIS COMMANDMENTS (2 John 1:6)
  • We are to walk IN TRUTH (Ps. 86:11)
  • We are to walk in NEWNESS of LIFE (Rom. 6:4)
  • We are to walk in WISDOM (Col. 4:5)
  • We are to walk WORTHY (1 Thes. 2:12)
  • We are to walk WITHOUT FEAR (Ps. 23:4)
  • We are to walk IN THE MIDST OF TROUBLE (Ps. 137:7)
  • We are to walk UPRIGHTLY
  • We are to walk HUMBLY (Mic. 6:8)
  • We are to walk WITHIN OUR HOUSE with a PERFECT HEART. (Ps. 101:2)
  • We are to walk AFTER THE SPIRIT (Rom. 8:1)
  • We are to walk WITH ALL OUR HEART (I Kings 8:23)
  • We are to walk BY FAITH (2 Cor. 5:7)
  • We are to walk AS CHRIST WALKED (John 2:6)

That seems like a long list, but I'm so grateful He's given us some specifics. This is what I need, so I'm looking forward to learning more in the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment