Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sleep or Pray?

I don't know about you…but I really do like my sleep! And although God wakes me up pretty early most of the time…I have to admit, it's not always easy making the decision to get up. 

Today was one of those days. God woke me up at 4:30 am, but I told him, "I just need a little more sleep. I'll make it up to you later during the morning." Well, I couldn't go back to sleep. Despite being sleepy, I kept tossing and turning and this verse kept coming to my mind, "Can you not watch one hour? Watch and pray! Watch and pray!" So, at 5 am, I stopped fighting the promptings of His Spirit, and I got up. "Lord, please help me!" I prayed. I washed my face in cold water and then knelt down by my window looking up at the stars as I began to pray. However, I have to admit, devotions were a struggle as I continued to battle sleepiness and my mind wasn't all there. (And part of the reason is that I allowed myself to stay up late last night…so of course today my body didn't want to cooperate with what God was calling me to do!) 

Because of the struggles this morning I intended to go back and take more time with God right after I'd completed my family duties. (At least that's what I intended.) However, something I didn't plan for happened. Suddenly two big unexpected challenges hit me square on. When they arrived, I hadn't had time yet to return to my time with God, and I wasn't prepared as I should have been. I found myself inadequate and feeble…realizing that I hadn't properly put His armor on. 


How many of us have often had this same experience? If we know that we have a test tomorrow, we prepare…but if we don't know, we think things are going to be ok, so we usually aren't as worried. However, most of the time during routine life…we don't know what test will lie ahead. We don't know what challenge the enemy is planning to bring our way. That's why we hear God's Spirit prompting us to "watch and pray."

Jesus and his disciples once were facing a great challenge…a challenge that would affect not just 12 men, but the whole world! Jesus asked His disciples to watch and pray. Then he went a little bit away to pray himself, with great heaviness of heart. However, when He came back, He found them sleeping.

In Matthew 26:40-43 we are told: "And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done. And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy." 

So he let them sleep this time, and He continued to pray!

Well, the test did come! Jesus was falsely accused and carried away…and his disciples fled, all but Peter. He followed his Master to see what would happen. But then, when questioned if he was with Jesus, he denied it. Not once, but three times!

In the book Desire of Ages, Ellen White writes: "It was in sleeping when Jesus bade him watch and pray that Peter had prepared the way for his great sin. All the disciples, by sleeping in that critical hour, sustained great loss." pages 712-714

So…are we preparing for the greater trials ahead, or are we preparing for great loss? Are we watching and praying? Or are we just too sleepy?

Lord have mercy! Help us to stay awake and learn to pray!

Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak!

Day 24 - Vit. B-3 Challenge
  • Bible Thought: Lord, Help us to watch and pray!
  • Blessing: God is a God of mercy…and even in my weakness, He is proving Himself strong! 
  • Battle Lost/Battle Won: I may have been caught unawares this morning, but thru the promptings of a friend that called to pray, God's reminded me if I listen to His voice, I can be victorious in the coming trials tomorrow and the rest of today. 
Truly there is an important reason when God says "watch and pray."

1 comment:

  1. I am claiming the promise in Isaiah 50:4-...He wakes me up morning by morning, He wakes my ears to hear as the learned. This morning was a struggle even with an earlier bed time. .. I was impressed to look at your blog after finishing a shower with cold water to jump start the day. It brought more conviction with a smile. The Lord is impressing me to form habits of regularity with habitual times for sleep and rising. Habits can be powerful tools to aid us in our walk with Christ; that is when they are good ones. I am in the struggle stage with this one. I tend to be a little too flexible.

    ReplyDelete