Monday, January 28, 2013

I nailed Him to that Cross!

I always thought I was a pretty good girl. I mean, yeah, I have had the normal selfish sinful tendencies like everyone else, but I didn't really do anything that bad. At least I never thought I did.

However, as time has gone by and as I study the cross of Christ more and more, the uglier and more despicable I and my sins become. And the awful truth hits me: I nailed Him to that Cross! 

It's down right disheartening, and sometimes I wonder how He could have even wanted to die for such a sinner like me. No, I may not have murdered my neighbor or bowed down before a golden image, but there are a thousand other sins I've committed that are much worse. Even my years of lukewarm Christian apathy and indifference towards the many that have been dying around me is a sin worthy of death. "Oh Lord, how much I must have broken your heart! Am I still breaking your heart today?" More and more these questions and realizations bring me to my knees in shame. And as I come to Him each day, the confessions of my heart grow deeper and more real.

"O wretched [woman] that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" Rom. 7:24

However, once again, I'm so thankful that He came to save sinners such as I. And the promise continues:

"I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord." Rom. 7:25

The following passage I've seen before, but I just stumbled upon it again in my devotions. How encouraging…here we are told that the fact that we see ourselves more clearly shows that the Holy Spirit is getting through.   

"The closer you come to Jesus, the more faulty you will appear in your own eyes; for your vision will be clearer, and your imperfections will be seen in distinct contrast with his perfect character. Be not discouraged; this is an evidence that Satan’s delusions are losing their power, that the vivifying influence of the Spirit of God is arousing you, and that your indifference and ignorance are passing away." Bible Echo, December 1, 1892

"Lord, please continue to wipe the cobwebs of sin from my eyes. May I understand what you have done for me, and may I not break your heart anymore."

EXTRA - to pray through a good heart challenge, read the "Beauty of Brokenness." I'm still working and praying over this one!

Day 28 - Vit. B-3 Challenge
  • Bible Thought: The more sinful we seem, the more evidence that God is at work in our hearts! PTL!
  • Blessing: I'm just praising the Lord that He came to save those like ME that nailed Him to that tree!
  • Battles: I'm also praying I never loose sight of the Cross or of His sacrifice for ME! Because frankly, growing up and being immersed in the culture of "Christianity" the significance of the Cross easily gets lost. Intellectually I understand, but it doesn't touch my heart like it does for those that understand it for the very first time. I'm praying God will break my heart even MORE so that I can understand His LOVE even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment