Wednesday, January 16, 2013

To walk as a Servant!

What does it mean to walk as HE walked?

The last few days have been difficult ones here on our homestead as several members of my family have been quite sick. As a result, despite being somewhat sick myself, I've had to lay down quite a few items on my agenda to serve those that are struggling more than myself. That has meant picking up the early morning care of my grandmother who is dying from breast cancer. That meant yesterday taking a unplanned trip to the doctor with my mom who could hardly sit up. It's just normal life, but not always fun. Naturally, when I'm not feeling the best, it's not as easy to take care of others needs. Yet, through these last few days, God has been teaching me more about what it means to walk as He walked, as a servant. 

Matthew 20:28 says: "Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many."

He may have been the King of the Universe, but He didn't come for us to serve Him. He came to serve us. And if He came to serve us, how much more should we serve each other. 

But there's one more thing God is impressing upon my mind this morning.

Yesterday as we were driving home from the doctor, we got stuck in the ice and snow on this big hill. We made it almost to the top, then we got stuck and started sliding into the ditch. There was nothing we could do, but wait for help. Finally, after sitting for almost 2 hours (while we were waiting for my dad to come help us), someone else came along and helped us out. But they didn't try to pull us up the hill as I expected. (And in hindsight, that would have been futile as there was no traction.) Instead, they turned us around and helped us drive back down the hill. At first I was thinking, "Oh no! We made it this far up, and NOW he is going to take us down again?" However, being an experienced ice-snow driver, our rescuer knew what he was doing. Once he got our van to the bottom of the hill and got turned around, he sped up and THEN…at a faster rate of speed than we had attempted the first time, he drove us up the hill! We made it to the top...Wohoo…. just as my dad and brother arrived to help rescue us!

This morning as I was lying in bed with worsening cough, and thinking about how I needed to get up (even though I didn't feel like it) and go take care of my grandma and check on my mom, the thought came to my mind how before we can come up, God often allows us to be taken down. That's what happened on that icy hill yesterday, that's what happened with Christ and His life of sacrifice, and that's what happens in our daily spiritual walk with Him.

"He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked." I John 2:6

So as I continue to pray that God would teach me how to walk as Christ walked, I'm reminded, it's all about learning to be a humble servant. Not always glamorous…but worthwhile in light of eternity.

"Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up." James 4:10

Day 16 - Vit. B-3 Challenge

  • Bible Thought - Walking as a Servant is how I walk as He walked!
  • Blessing - we made it home last night in one piece, despite terrible roads!
  • Battle - Praying that God will help me continue to serve cheerfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment