Saturday, January 19, 2013

Will we stand in the gap for our brother?

I've recently started following the story of Pastor Saeed Abedini, an American/Iranian that is being held in prison because of his faith. He wasn't even doing anything illegal in Iran, but had gone back to visit his family and assist with an orphanage that he started a few years ago. However, without divine intervention, he could literally loose his life for his faith. His case has been transferred to a judge that is notorious for violating human rights and who has sent many to the gallows to hang. Right now things are very unsure about his future.  And his case is to be decided in court this January 21st, 2013.  (After being imprisoned for over 3 months, his attorney was just allowed access to his court details and charges this past week. Already justice has been abused, and he has admitted to being tortured during interrogation. However, he's also shared that his faith is stronger than ever, and He can feel the prayers of those that are praying.)

His story has made me think of the many times throughout the Bible when God's people have been falsely imprisoned and persecuted. It's kinda rare for us here in the Western world, but it's still very much a reality for many believers around the world. 

So how could we help this pastor, someone who we don't even know personally, and someone that is on the other side of the world outside practically of all human control? 

Well, many are signing petitions to give pressure to the Iranian government to release Him. (I signed as well!) But God has really laid it upon my heart to pray for him! I know that thousands of people are watching his case, and even the US State Department is starting to take some action on his behalf. I also believe there are many people praying…but I wonder, how many are REALLY praying for Him? It's much easier to be a spectator and gossiper then a true prayer warrior for someone in need. After all, what can we really do? Well, I don't think we can do anything… but I'm praying God will do something because we prayed!

Here's the verses I've been meditating on today:

"And he saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no intercessor: "         Isa. 59:16

"And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none."       Ezek. 22:30

Of course, we know that God does not want to destroy this man…but Satan does. So we are praying that the Lord will make up a hedge to deliver him from the destroyer. I keep thinking, what if this man were my father? What if he were my brother? How earnest would I be? 

"For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him." II Chron. 16:9

Because Iran is ahead of us time wise, I'm going to take this Sunday (January 20th, 2013) for specific prayer and fasting on Pastor Saeed's behalf, and I invite you to join me.

To read more of the updates on his story, click HERE.

Day 19 - Vit. B-3 Challenge
  • Bible Thought: We need to be more serious Intercessors for each other!
  • Blessing: My Grandma is still well, and hasn't caught our sickness. PTL!
  • Battles: Still praying to be a consistent blessing and a servant to my family. Mom still needs to regain health. I am doing better myself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment