Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Don't just do something…STAND THERE!

Being the first day of the New Year, I thought I'd celebrate with taking the whole morning just with me and God. I knew I needed it, but I have to admit, it was a little difficult to take the extra time out as I have so much to do. However, as I was reading this* morning, He brought me to a powerful verse and reminder. It wasn't what I originally was planning to share, but I think it's what we all need to hear today.


"Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls." Jer. 6:16

Although this verse is loaded, the part that really jumped out to me today was "Stand ye in the ways." 

I don't know how many of you were told as children, "Don't just stand there, DO SOMETHING!" I heard that a lot from my work-a-holic grandfather, and maybe that's why I'm such a mover today. It's almost like I have this inaudible voice in the back of my head screaming, "Go go…faster faster…DO this, DO that, move it! Don't you realize you still have tons to DO?"

Of course, life is all about ACTION…as I learned in College…and have learned in the years since. It's about learning, growing, doing, and being involved. And "doing" is a good thing. Why else would we be in the school called "Life" if not to DO, or learn how to DO, or pretend to DO until we decide whatever it is that we really want to DO. And not to be repetitive here, but we have strong encouragement to DO this too. (Like in Ecl. 9:10 where it says, "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, DO IT with all thy might.")

But this morning, a fresh realization came to my mind as I heard God's gentle voice breaking thru all my hurry. "Mel, don't just DO something! STAND THERE! Be still…and know that I am God."

I don't know how busy your life is, or how many things you may be trying to DO as you begin this New Year. But God's encouragement for all of us today is: STOP, take some time out, BE STILL and spend some time just STANDING and listening to Him today. 

I want to close with this powerful quote from one of my favorite devotionals: 

"An intensity such as never before was seen is taking possession of the world. In amusement, in moneymaking, in the contest for power, in the very struggle for existence, there is a terrible force that engrosses body and mind and soul. In the midst of this maddening rush, God is speaking. He bids us come apart and commune with Him. “Be still, and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10. Many, even in their seasons of devotion, fail of receiving the blessing of real communion with God. They are in too great haste. With hurried steps they press through the circle of Christ’s loving presence, pausing perhaps a moment within the sacred precincts, but not waiting for counsel. They have no time to remain with the divine Teacher. With their burdens they return to their work.... Not a pause for a moment in His presence, but personal contact with Christ, to sit down in companionship with Him—this is our need." Faith I Live By, p. 225

*[F.Y.I. - the devotional thoughts I share here will always be at least one day behind my actual life. I make it a policy to never turn on my computer and do work or blogging until I've completed my time with God. Sometimes I might take all morning with Him…so I don't want to keep those that visit waiting on me to post for that day.]

1 comment:

  1. This is definitely my struggle as well. I tend to be a "Martha" and God has been telling me lately to be more like Mary - to choose the better part and slow down and spend more time with Him and my family. ;-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete